General Information for the Class of 2024
If you were not able to attend our Choice Night/Freshmen Are Fantastic event, please use the information below to register for your courses.
If you would like access to the presentation the PCHS Counseling Department gave as a part of our Freshmen Are Fantastic event, please select one of the following: Google Slides | Presentation in .pdf Format
If you have not completed your Course Selection for the 2020-2021 school year, please e-mail Kelley Stewart, counselor for the Class of 2024, at Kelley.Stewart@asd20.org.
Ms. Stewart will respond as soon as she is able; however, please remember she has 450 seniors that her priority until May 26th. Thank you for your understanding!
Course Selection Guidelines
1) Discuss as a Family: Please discuss class choices as a family and make sure you and your student are in agreement with the courses selected for the next school year.
2) Discuss with Teachers: We also encourage your student to discuss course selection with his/her current core class teacher if they have questions regarding placement.
3) Select Carefully: Choose ALL classes with care, keeping in mind balance.
Every class = 30 min/1 hour of homework
Every H/AP course = 1.5/2 hours of homework per night!
4) Schedule Changes: Keep in mind that schedule changes will only be made for the following reasons: Academic misplacement; Challenge by choice; Add a course needed for graduation; Drop a course when pre-reqs have not been met; Add/change partial absences; Empty blocks in schedules.
What courses do I select?
The Pine Creek Course Guide includes a flow chart for each subject in alpha order by discipline, a description of each class, and course fees and prerequisites. See further details below.
When making your course selections, please include:
English (2 credits): Please choose either Freshman Literature and Comp OR Honors Freshman Literature and Comp (See page 31 in the course guide)
Math (2 credits): Year-Long Class (See page 37 in course guide)
* Math course requests may be changed based on state testing results.
* NOTE: Linear Algebra is NOT Algebra 1 and does NOT meet state/district graduation requirements.
Health (1 credit): Please choose either Health and Wellness OR Global Health and Wellness (Online).
Physical Education (1 credit): Please choose either Intro to PE OR Fitness Through Dance.
Science (2 credits):Please choose either Biology OR Honors Biology (See page 53 in course guide)
Social Science (2 credits): Please choose either World Regional Geography OR Honors World History OR AP Human Geography (See page 59 in course guide)
World Language (2 credits): See page 65 in course guide.
Electives (4 credits):
- A combination of either two year-long classes or four semester long classes.
- Note: Every freshman will automatically be placed in 1 semester of study hall AND 1 semester of Technology for Education. If you would like to have 2 semesters of study hall, please write study hall as one of your elective choices.
Alternates: Please choose alternate classes in the case we are unable to schedule your first choice electives.